Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:54:35 +0800
From: orc <orc@...server.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Vision for new platform] syslog, sed, cron

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:31:49 +0200
Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Rich started with basic tools for unix (noXCUse):
>
> http://git.etalabs.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=noxcuse;a=summary
>
> ...and this is a good time to talk about other tools/daemons.
>

> syslog
> ----------
> rsyslog, syslog-ng - seems to be quite a hard choice. syslog-ng needs
> glib etc.
>
> sysklogd - is an old and good, but today might be a little too
> outdated.
>
> socklog - recommended by suckless.org etc.,
> http://smarden.org/socklog/
>
> metalog - (http://metalog.sourceforge.net/). Require PCRE, but it is a
> very lightweight solution. The original release has ugly gnulib dep. I
> deleted the extraneous code (gnulib) and packed everything into one
> file (mlog.tar). The whole is adapted to musl. This stuff requires
> further work (Makefile +-DOPTIONS)...
>

> sed
> -----
> sed can be a big problem. I noticed that some programs require gnu sed
> for proper installation (configure, Makefile).
>
> minised is very interesting and worth a recommendation.
>
> http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_source/minised/
>
> Unfortunately, even with minised I can't build packages such as
> e2fsprogs, findutils or find etc.
>
> from my find's build.log:
>
> checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for a sed that does not truncate output... configure: error:
> no acceptable sed could be found in $PATH
>
> We can prepare a patches etc... but if autotools will push gnu sed
> this issue will return in the future as well as with other programs...
>
> btw. I also ported to musl/linux bsd sed (from OpenBSD), but it has
> worse compatibility with gnu sed than minised.
>

> cron
> ------
> I recommend ncron. Works very well with musl.
> http://kain.us/nk/projects/
>

> best regards,
> Daniel

There is also Rob's toybox, it's goals is to provide light versions of
userspace tools a-la busybox, but compilant with most of POSIX
standards and Linux tools.
While busybox targets embedded, toybox targets like musl targets to be
general purpose C library. You can read more here:
http://landley.net/toybox/roadmap.html