Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:53:37 +0200
From: Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Todo for release?

2012/8/15 Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>:
> * Daniel Cegie?ka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com> [2012-08-15 10:55:06 +0200]:
>> >
>> > Daniel, any more thoughts on this? Are there lots of programs that
>> > want it that can't easily be patched to simply use argv[0] themselves?
>>
>> This is not something that is absolutely necessary. __progname quite
>> often is used on *BSD and less on Linux (eg. Owl's msulogin,
>> popa3d)... but __progname is always easy to fix.
>>

> i think the fact that *bsd uses it
> is not enough justification
>
> openbsd uses it because it's part of
> their style guide for whatever reason
>
> "The __progname string may be used instead
> of hard-coding the program name."
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=style&sektion=9
>
> but we don't support many things from
> there (like sys/queue.h)
>

> i don't think many linux tools uses it
> as it's not part of the lsb and glibc
> has its own silly
> program_invocation_name and
> program_invocation_short_name
> (which are aliases to __progname and
> __progname_full)
>
> the main justification i see is that
> we already support bsd err and warn
> apis which are required to print
> the __progname as well
> (currently they don't and actually
> a simple warn("hi"); segfaults here
> with musl but i havent investigated
> it)

I understand that and that's why my first sentence was: This is not
something that is absolutely necessary.

We often say that we don't want to reproduce 'ugly stuff from glibc
etc.' (eg. __progname). This does not change the fact that a lot of
code will require patches to fix __progname problem. If Rich has taken
the effort to rewrite/fix libc, we can fix __progname... if needed
(it's really small patch.. discussed on the list).

Daniel