Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:53:44 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Todo for release?

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:31:54PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2012-08-13 14:53:30 -0400]:
> > - MD5 and SHA crypt (nsz?)
>
> i only have code for the hashes, not crypt
>
> it seems these crypt schemes are fairly ugly
> i don't mind if their implementation is delayed

It looks like the API the hash functions provide matches closely what
the BSD crypt functions expect, so I think we could potentially just
use or adapt one of them..

> md5 based crypt is not recommended anymore
> http://phk.freebsd.dk/sagas/md5crypt_eol.html

Indeed. But is it used in existing Linux user databases on any
significant scale? If not, I agree we can just drop it.

> the sha2 based crypt seems to be designed recently
> and the spec has a public domain implementation
> http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/SHA-crypt.txt

I'm confused by all the SHA names (1/2/256/512)...