Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:24:09 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: crypt* files in crypt directory

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:03:00AM +0200, Daniel Cegie?ka wrote:
> If closer to upstream, it would be preferable to use scrypt:
> http://www.tarsnap.com/scrypt.html

Huh?  As far as I'm aware, there's still no crypt(3) encoding syntax
defined for scrypt (which is intended primarily as a KDF rather than a
password hashing method for servers), so we'd have to devise our own.
How is that "closer to upstream"?

It does make sense to use scrypt for password hashing, but how exactly
that will be done and whether it'll be scrypt or something future
inspired by scrypt and others is not clear yet:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/crypt-dev/2011/05/12/4
http://www.openwall.com/lists/crypt-dev/2012/08/07/1

Alexander