Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:57:22 -0400
From: Gregor Richards <gr@...due.edu>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: thread local storage

On 07/16/2012 03:02 PM, John Spencer wrote:
> 2 out of 14 sabotage followers wanted to use a musl-based system as a
> platform for luajit (and then were never seen again).
> so i looked into adding it...
>
> luajit builds without problems on musl, but then crashes due to a lack
> of TLS.
>
> is it planned to add this feature ? iirc it wasn't mentioned on the
> latest roadmap...

With a quick perusal of the LuaJIT source, this is the only instance of
TLS I see:

#if LJ_UNWIND_EXT
#if LJ_TARGET_OSX || defined(__OpenBSD__)
/* Sorry, no thread safety for OSX. Complain to Apple, not me. */
static _Unwind_Exception static_uex;
#else
static __thread _Unwind_Exception static_uex;
#endif

Convince it to use the same exception as OS X and OpenBSD and you should
be in business.

"Complain to Apple, not me" is an odd way to say "I am too lazy to use
standard interfaces." TLS has come up on the IRC chat, but I don't
recall what the conclusions were regarding future implementation or not.

With valediction,
  - Gregor Richards