Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:49:19 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Draft: musl promo materials

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 19:30:38 -0400
Gregor Richards <gr@...due.edu> wrote:

> On 07/14/2012 07:06 PM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:45:40 -0700
> > Charlie Kester <corky1951@...cast.net> wrote:
> >

> >> It would be good to include a list of apps that have been
> >> successfully compiled with musl.  No need to list every such app,
> >> just some representative ones that will help dispel any fears about
> >> the library's ability to replace glibc in the most common uses.
> > Somehow, listing compatible applications in PR does not
> > sound very encouraging, until you can run the really huge
> > suites/applications (I'm thinking of glibc-linked NVIDIA + Xorg, as
> > was recently done with a patched version of musl, Google Earth, or
> > native-built OpenOffice, Firefox/Chromium, the GIMP, Wine, Java,
> > Mesa, GNOME, KDE, maybe Xfce, R, GRASS, BRL-CAD, FreeCAD, TeX,
> > GDAL...the list isn't exclusive or a recommendation of the

> > Isaac Dunham
> >
> GIMP and XFCE work. I'm working on Firefox, but I believe it
> currently hits a bug in musl's dlopen, so I'm waiting on that fix. It
> compiles, it just doesn't launch (hyuk). I routinely run the complete
> pkgsrc suite through musl to see what works; the current test is
> ongoing, but here's the results of the most recent one, which
> unfortunately suffered from some bugs in my setup and so has some
> false build failures:
>
> Tried 10444, depfail 4489, depok 5955, nobuild 2454, testfail 336,
> success 3165 (53.1486%). Breakdown: http://sprunge.us/jgDO . MVD:
> http://sprunge.us/cjRK
>
> (Tried = packages attempted, depfail = deps failed to build, nobuild
> = didn't build, testfail = built but tests failed, success = all
> tests passed, percentage is out of depok, MVD = most valuable
> dependencies, of which I have since fixed security/p5-Crypt-Rijndael
> and textproc/xmlrpc-c )
php, sdl - see latest sabotage pkg for patches
perl, mpg123, mutt... - broken setup or wrong config? I've built both
w/out patching, but some are picky about the config.
heimdal-seriously, someone still wants Kerberos 4 ?!
(heimdal is a Kerberos4-only implementation; this means only DES-based
encryption, and MIT Kerberos has deprecated Kerberos 4)
ap-auth-kerb - Presume this is MIT Kerberos; 1.8.x can be built with
one small patch, but 1.10.x fails thanks to Redhat's broken code in
libverto...
heirloom-* - I had to patch it (mainly makefile changes, one or
two source changes) last time I tried, but that's several months ago.
cups - I think this wants libusb, which I haven't seen built...

I'm wondering about how complete C++ support is, or whether
__{BEGIN,END}_DECLS is overused--Fox, Qt, FLTK, and xpdf are all C++.

Overall, I'd expect you've got at least a couple hundred false failures,
but I notice that Mesa and parts of TeX are building, which is pretty
impressive itself.

Status of packages mentioned:
Builds:
Mesa, GIMP, Xfce, TeX (partial)