Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 19:34:57 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hello

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:24:17AM +0800, orc wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:31:41 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > > So there is a question: will musl support this configs? Or I will
> > > need patchelf and 'libc6-legacy' for them?
> >
> > It's intended to work, but I don't know whether it does yet.
>
> Did some research there last days: for, example, one that proprietary
> drivers that nvidia ships it was required about 30 missing symbols,
> half of them are one-liners system calls, 5 were glibc-specific
> functions that were easy to add (one of them is gnu_get_libc_version()
> that is designed to return a plain string), 4 were missing math
> functions that already defined as a macros in math.h, rest is a forest
> of weak aliases around already existed functions (plus two aliases to
> objects). That allowed me to run plain unmodified X11 applications (not
> even gtk2 ones) and accelerated glxgears without errors (The gtk2 or
> qt or other such libraries compiled against glibc is not my target,
> just to prove that userspace nvidia could be run with musl).
> If you interested, I can put a patch that adds such forest of
> weak_alias'es to improve (partly) glibc compatibility. And separate
> patch for missing syscall wrappers.

I'm very interested in this. I'm surprised it was that easy to make it
work, and just curious about all the aliases that were involved and
whether they make since or whether they're hacks. Post patches or a
report in whatever form you prefer; I'll review it and hopefully it
can be committed without much additional fuss.