Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:55:18 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wiki for musl?

* Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2012-06-13 23:46:00 -0400]:
> Just because this is the way broken sites are done doesn't mean it has
> to be that way. Suppose instead you do something like this. When the
> client sends the submission to the server, the server generates the
> updated contact then does a DOM-level diff of the old and new
> versions, then sends a representation of the diff across to the
> client-side js that incorporates it into the DOM there.
>
> No ugly duplication, eh? And the ajax code is nearly 100% generic and
> site-generic.

i don't like when websites change under my feet

i imagine if someone else modifies the page you
still get the updates so the page can change
while you are reading it..

and the back button does not work anymore

then when a proxy modifies the page (eg to remove
ads or tidy up the html) then the patching will fail

and dom-level diff is not enough anyway:
the content can be a huge wall of text which is a
single node in the dom i guess, so you need more
granularity

i'm not sure if this idea is feasible at all