Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:28:35 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Vision for new platform

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 01:48:20 -0400
Kurt H Maier <khm-lists@...ma.in> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:37:38PM -0700, idunham@...abit.com wrote:
> > Tell me how you plan to handle wireless+DHCP. It can take 5+
I should note that "can" means
"One of the worst cases".
> > seconds to associate, and 20+ to get a lease.  That's not
> > negotiable, it's the facts of life.
>
> For the record, this isn't a problem on all hardware.  My intel cards
> all associate and pull IPs in less than ten seconds at most.  I don't
> use anything but wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd.
wpa_supplicant & dhclient.

Also, I'm dealing with very marginal connections (campus wireless on a
university farm, and Windows takes a minute to associate then still has
no internet...).
So if you have a connection manager that you want tested, I'm sure I
could give it a hard case...

As far as ephemeral wifi goes, it's just annoying for me. I'm aware of
folks who use wireless for servers, though that's asking for trouble.

Isaac Dunham