Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:09:47 -0400
From: Kurt H Maier <khm-lists@...ma.in>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wiki for musl?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 04:00:06PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> I was thinking more along the lines of AJAX for realtime update of the
> preview alongside the text (ala Stack Overflow), submission without
> reloading the whole page, etc. Not just visual presentation of the
> page.

There are such things possible with ikiwiki.  If your interested in
current status, you can glance over the discussions on ikiwiki.info,
such as http://ikiwiki.info/todo/mdwn_preview/

The specific feature you're talking about on stack overflow hsa been
cloned a bunch of times in general-use libraries.  For an example of
that, see http://code.google.com/p/pagedown/source/browse/ -- which can
be shoved into just about any wiki program.  (incidentally, ikiwiki uses
markdown by default, but any (or multiple) markup compilers can be used.
the traditional 'easy' setup involves a post-commit hook on the server
that triggers a recompile of the wiki whenever someone checks in the
source.)

The default ikiwiki theme and css is very sparse, but there are quite a
few drop-in replacements for them that look fancy and ajaxy.

Please keep in mind that lots of people still don't like using this sort
of thing.  For the record, I'm one of them.