Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:25:21 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hi and a few questions

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 01:49:36PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> There was someone who was asking about portability previously; he has a
> project that will use arm and mips cpus (this is the project that needs
> libuv, hence the discussion on IRC) and-if musl works with libuv-he
> thinks he could convince his boss to fund a port, if one isn't ready
> ahead of time.

Good to know!

> Microblaze is one of the oddball CPUs that you can configure without an
> MMU. Would this project target MMU configurations only?

Well POSIX requires an MMU (or a completely virtualized system that
has one), and as far as I know Linux does too (although there's
UCLinux or whatever too). I suspect the situation would be the same as
how we handle 2.4 kernels: "If some functionality works, great, but
let's not do all kinds of crazy things to make stuff work 'better'
when it's impossible to work 100% right anyway due to platform
limitations."

> For what it's worth, a shadow tree (see lndir(1)) would probably do all
> that's really needed, if you
> 1 Get musl source code
> 2 lndir $MUSL_SOURCE ${MUSL_SOURCE}-${ARCH}
> 3 Configure and build in ${MUSL_SOURCE}-${ARCH}

Yes, this should work very well.

> You might have issues with shadowing after you have built musl (ie, do
> 3 in-tree, 2, repeat 3 in shadow tree), I wouldn't know for sure.

The only major problem I can think of is include/bits getting
shadowed, but "make clean" removes it anyway. So even this might work.