Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 12:03:20 -0500
From: Richard Pennington <rich@...nware.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Hi and a few questions

Hi,

I'm putting together a set of tools and libraries for doing embedded C and C++
development using clang/LLVM.

The web site describing the project is http://ellcc.org

I just discovered musl (from a post on the minux mailing list) and it looks
very cool.

I'm currently using a partial Linux port of the NetBSD libraries, but it looks
like musl might be a better choice. I'm thinking of switching, and I have a
few questions, but first a little background.

I want to target several processors, including i386, x86_64, arm, mips,
microblaze, ppc, and ppc64 so it looks like musl support will have to be added
for the currently unsupported processors.

I've done some preliminary testing by compiling the Open POSIX Test Suite
(http://posixtest.sourceforge.net) three ways:
	1. with gcc/glibc, x86_64
	2. with clang/LLVM/glibc, x86_64
	3. with clang/LLVM/musl, x86_64

The results have been good enough that I'm pretty sure I want to switch:

[~/ellcc/posixtestsuite] main% grep PASS logfile.musl | wc
   5074   15286  275399
[~/ellcc/posixtestsuite] main% grep PASS logfile.ecc | wc
   5381   16143  294510
[~/ellcc/posixtestsuite] main% grep PASS logfile.gcc | wc
   5380   16140  294458

Now for my questions:
	1. Can musl be built out of the source tree? I'd like to be able to build
	    for different processors in different directories.
	2. Are the include/bits files the only include files that differ between
            processors?
	3. Are people actively working on other musl ports? I'd wouldn't want to
	    duplicate their efforts.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I just started looking at musl this
morning. ;-)

-Rich