Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:58:24 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wrapper scripts and Open64

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:20:48PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> I was curious, and started playing with Open64...
> Open64 is at least as troublesome as gcc, but it doesn't work with
> specfiles.
> So if I use kopencc (the GCC-style wrapper that Open64 uses) instead
> of gcc, the specfile version doesn't work...but the version from
> commit 02eb568 does work.

I'm surprised it works, since it was partly specfile based too. Are
you sure everything at the linking stage was working (including
inhibiting search of non-musl paths), and not just the compiler?

> Open64 doesn't have stack-protector AFAIK.

That shouldn't be a problem.

> Open64 does require C++ to compile...as do most C++ compilers that
> I've tried.
> So how exactly do you bootstrap a C++ environment under musl?

Building gcc 4.6.2 with C++ support and libstdc++ should work fine as
long as you replace libstdc++/config/os/gnu-linux with generic to
eliminate the poking at glibc locale internals. Once you have it
working you should (in theory) be able to build other compilers
written in C++...