Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:18:42 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: compatability: struct sigaction missing sa_restorer

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 23:03:02 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
..
> must be in the reserved namespace. Fortunately for us, per POSIX XSH
> 2.2.2 The Name Space, sa_* is in the reserved namespace for signal.h,
> so it's valid to just call it sa_restorer. As such, I'll fix it.
>
> > This prevents building Xvesa; I definitely won't patch it to use
> > __sa_restorer.  Don't know if sa_restorer is commonly used.
>
> With that said, installing your own sa_restorer is not a very good
> idea, and almost surely a very bad design... Not sure why Xvesa is
> doing this...

Just initializing certain parts to 0, apparently:

act.sa_handler = LinuxVTRequest;
sigemptyset (&act.sa_mask);
act.sa_flags = 0;
act.sa_restorer = 0; /* PROBLEM */
sigaction(SIGUSR1, &act, 0);

..
Looks like a later version of Xvesa just deleted this line, so I'll do that.

Xvesa was axed a couple years ago, but Xfbdev requires working framebuffer drivers (not a given, when an i810 system is one of the planned targets) and Xorg may not work without dynamic linking (every driver is a library), so I've been using the amigolinux version of TinyX (version "1.2.61", based on an *old* Xorg).  This is the only maintained Xvesa, and is a fairly small, single download.
It's only been tested against uclibc, but the developers are ready to patch it.

Incidentally, when I mentioned some of the issues I've been having, some of the developers mentioned that a BSD-licensed libc will be better for them than a LGPL-licensed libc--they're working on a tiny, pure static, multicall binary based distro.
 One of them has put rootfs on an in-kernel initrd for a sub-1MB single-file distro.
--
Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>