Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:07:40 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: musl 0.8.6 released (bug fix)

Hi all,

Yesterday's release of 0.8.5 let slip a bug in the weak linking logic
for pthread cancellation cleanup that caused all DNS lookups to crash
if the program was static linked and did not use pthreads. It may have
caused other similar problems too. I've made a new release, 0.8.6,
with just the fix for this bug:

http://www.etalabs.net/musl/releases/musl-0.8.6.tar.gz

As nsz said when I announced the upcoming bugfix release on IRC this
morning: "i don't think i'll finish the math stuff within that time
frame :)" so it looks like 0.8.7 will be the target for libm
integration now.

In the interest of avoiding issues like this in the future, I'm
looking to make a regression test suite for static linking & weak
symbol issues that will test cases of the form "using X without Y" in
static-linked programs - for example, pthread_cleanup_push/pop without
pthreads, stdio without malloc, etc. both to ensure that the code
works as expected, and that unwanted code isn't getting pulled in and
bloating the static binaries.