Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 17:25:45 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Revitalizing testing!

Hi everyone,

Since GSoC ended with some partial successes on Luka's libc testing
project "cluts", I'd like to look towards picking up testing where
that left off and "finishing" cluts. In addition to the remaining
tasks on the GSoC project proposal
(http://openwall.info/wiki/musl/unit-tests), I have a few new areas
I'd like to focus attention on:

1. Deriving from the musl git history as list of specific corner cases
that were problematic/buggy at some point in time, and ensuring that
an existing test covers the case, or else writing a new test.

2. Pulling in tests from glibc, gnulib, and autoconf - this involves
paying special attention to determining which tests are actually
valid.

3. Naming in plain English the assertion that each test is testing.
For example, "Cond var is immediately destroyable as soon as
pthread_cond_broadcast returns from unblocking all waiters."

4. And of course, integrating the test framework and results reporting
so we can automate regression testing and compare the results with
other libcs.

Since this is no longer a student project for which I'm the mentor,
I'm also prepared to contribute tests myself and take on part of the
work involved, but I'd really like a dedicated maintainer for cluts -
either Luka (if you're willing) or someone else familiar with musl and
the testing project. Please reply here or discuss it on IRC if you're
interested in taking on maintaining the project.

Greetings from the GSoC Mentor Summit,