Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:04:08 -0800
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>
To: "Hector Martin 'marcan'" <marcan@...can.st>
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>, X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Re: vDSO maximum stack usage, stack probes,
 and -fstack-check

> On Nov 10, 2017, at 8:02 AM, Hector Martin 'marcan' <marcan@...can.st> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-10 23:57, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> This code is so wrong I don't even no where to start.  Seriously, sub,
>> orq, add?  How about just orq with an offset?  How about a *load*
>> instead of a store?
>
> Stores should be cheaper than loads (since they don't stall), but
> apparently the rationale for using orq is:

I'm having trouble imagining a CPU that would stall on an unused load
but would not stall on an RMW.

> gcc/config/i386/i386.md: ;; Use IOR for stack probes, this is shorter.
>
> Saves bytes I guess? Though being read-modify-write it probably hurts
> performance; I don't know what real CPUs would do with it.
>
> I suspect the sub, add is there to guarantee that the stack pointer is
> actually below the probed location. IIRC the x86-64 ABI specifies a
> 128-byte redzone that you can freely mess with; going beyond that would
> require actually changing the stack pointer.

The redzone says that signals won't clobber the first 128 bytes.  For
a stack probe, no one cares about the value at the probed address, so
this seems moot.  Maybe there's some kernel that would object to the
sort-of-out-of-bounds probe, but that seems unlikely.