Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:16:43 -0700
From: Thomas Garnier <thgarnie@...gle.com>
To: Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc: Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>, "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, xen-devel <xen-devel@...ts.xenproject.org>,
	kvm list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>, Linux PM list <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
	Kernel Hardening <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
Subject: Re: x86: PIE support and option to extend KASLR randomization

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org> wrote:

> ( Sorry about the delay in answering this. I could blame the delay on the merge
>   window, but in reality I've been procrastinating this is due to the permanent,
>   non-trivial impact PIE has on generated C code. )
>
> * Thomas Garnier <thgarnie@...gle.com> wrote:
>
>> 1) PIE sometime needs two instructions to represent a single
>> instruction on mcmodel=kernel.
>
> What again is the typical frequency of this occurring in an x86-64 defconfig
> kernel, with the very latest GCC?

I am not sure what is the best way to measure that.

> Also, to make sure: which unwinder did you use for your measurements,
> frame-pointers or ORC? Please use ORC only for future numbers, as
> frame-pointers is obsolete from a performance measurement POV.

I used the default configuration which uses frame-pointer. I built all
the different binaries with ORC and I see an improvement in size:

On latest revision (just built and ran performance tests this week):

With framepointer: PIE .text is 0.837324% than baseline

With ORC: PIE .text is 0.814224% than baseline

Comparing baselines only, ORC is -2.849832% than frame-pointers.

>> 2) GCC does not optimize switches in PIE in order to reduce relocations:
>
> Hopefully this can either be fixed in GCC or at least influenced via a compiler
> switch in the future.
>
>> The switches are the biggest increase on small functions but I don't
>> think they represent a large portion of the difference (number 1 is).
>
> Ok.
>
>> A side note, while testing gcc 7.2.0 on hackbench I have seen the PIE
>> kernel being faster by 1% across multiple runs (comparing 50 runs done
>> across 5 reboots twice). I don't think PIE is faster than a
>> mcmodel=kernel but recent versions of gcc makes them fairly similar.
>
> So I think we are down to an overhead range where the inherent noise (both random
> and systematic one) in 'hackbench' overwhelms the signal we are trying to measure.
>
> So I think it's the kernel .text size change that is the best noise-free proxy for
> the overhead impact of PIE.

I agree but it might be hard to measure the exact impact. What is
acceptable and what is not?

> It doesn't hurt to double check actual real performance as well, just don't expect
> there to be much of a signal for anything but fully cached microbenchmark
> workloads.

That's aligned with what I see in the latest performance testing.
Performance is close enough that it is hard to get exact numbers (pie
is just a bit slower than baseline on hackench (~1%)).

--
Thomas