Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:16:00 +0530
From: Shubham Bansal <illusionist.neo@...il.com>
To: Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
Cc: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>,
	"Reshetova, Elena" <elena.reshetova@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for something to WORK ON

Hi Daniel,

I have read about the EBPF and BFP. I wanted to start contributing. Do you
have any place for me to start with ?
I mailed you regarding the same few months ago but didn't get the reply.

Best,
Shubham Bansal

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
wrote:

> Hi Shubham,
>
> On 07/13/2016 09:37 AM, Shubham Bansal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So overall I have 3 options :

>>> This is a large project.
>>>
>>> I am happy to do it. Do you have anything where I can start ? I might
>> need
>> someone who could guide me through it. It would be great if you could.
>>

>>> PAN emulation on ARMv8.0 - My second preference would be this.
>>>>

>>> This sounds like it requires more research?
>>>
>>> Convert remaining BPF JITs to eBPF JIT (with blinding) - Happy to do it
>>>>
>>> if

>>> I think this has value and there are folks that can help direct you
>>> through this. Since you're new to kernel development, maybe start here
>>> to get a sense of the amount of work needed, and then go from there?
>>>
>>> Okay. I will start here. I will keep the PAX's UDREF feature in the
>> background and start working on this. I will reach out to Daniel Borkmann
>> and Elena Reshetova for the starting pointers.
>>

> Feel free to check out slides etc that are mostly located here:
>
>   https://github.com/iovisor/bpf-docs
>
> Also, Documentation/networking/filter.txt in the kernel tree provides some
> info as a starting point, an example of eBPF JIT can be found here
> arch/x86/net/
> in kernel tree.
>
> To give you a basic overview what JITs are still classic BPF (cBPF) ones:
>
> $ git grep -n "select HAVE_CBPF_JIT"
> arch/arm/Kconfig:44:    select HAVE_CBPF_JIT
> arch/mips/Kconfig:18:   select HAVE_CBPF_JIT if !CPU_MICROMIPS
> arch/powerpc/Kconfig:131:       select HAVE_CBPF_JIT if CPU_BIG_ENDIAN
> arch/sparc/Kconfig:35:  select HAVE_CBPF_JIT
>
> ... and which are eBPF (ppc64 one should get merged next window I believe):
>
> $ git grep -n "select HAVE_EBPF_JIT"
> arch/arm64/Kconfig:64:  select HAVE_EBPF_JIT
> arch/s390/Kconfig:131:  select HAVE_EBPF_JIT if PACK_STACK &&
> HAVE_MARCH_Z196_FEATURES
> arch/x86/Kconfig:94:    select HAVE_EBPF_JIT                    if X86_64
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Content of type "text/html" skipped