Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:48:55 +0100
From: Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
To: George Spelvin <linux@...encehorizons.net>
Cc: ak@...ux.intel.com, davem@...emloft.net, David.Laight@...lab.com,
	ebiggers3@...il.com, eric.dumazet@...il.com, Jason@...c4.com,
	kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com, linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, luto@...nel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	tom@...bertland.com, tytso@....edu, vegard.nossum@...il.com
Subject: Re: George's crazy full state idea (Re: HalfSipHash Acceptable
 Usage)

Hi,

On Fri, 2016-12-23 at 13:26 -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> (Cc: list trimmed slightly as the topic is wandering a bit.)
>
> Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-12-22 at 19:07 -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> > > Adding might_lock() annotations will improve coverage a lot.
> >
> > Might be hard to find the correct lock we take later down the code
> > path, but if that is possible, certainly.
>
> The point of might_lock() is that you don't have to.  You find the
> worst case (most global) lock that the code *might* take if all the
> buffer-empty conditions are true, and tell lockdep "assume this lock is
> taken all the time".

Yes, of course. Probably indicating input_pool's and primary_crng's
locks are good to indicate here, but on NUMA other locks might be
taken.

> For example, here's a simple bit-buffer implementation that wraps around
> a get_random_long.  The bitbuffer is of the form "00001xxxx", where the
> x bits are valid, and the position of the msbit indicates how many bits
> are valid.
>
> extern unsigned long get_random_long();
> static unsigned long bitbuffer = 1;	/* Holds 0..BITS_PER_LONG-1 bits */
> unsigned long get_random_bits(unsigned char bits)
> {
> 	/* We handle bits == BITS_PER_LONG,and not bits == 0 */
> 	unsigned long mask = -1ul >> (BITS_PER_LONG - bits);
> 	unsigned long val;
>
> 	if (bitbuffer > mask) {
> 		/* Request can be satisfied out of the bit buffer */
> 		val = bitbuffer;
> 		bitbuffer >>= bits;
> 	} else {
> 		/*
> 		 * Not enough bits, but enough room in bitbuffer for the
> 		 * leftovers.  avail < bits, so avail + 64 <= bits + 63.
> 		 */
> 		val = get_random_long();
> 		bitbuffer = bitbuffer << (BITS_PER_LONG - bits)
> 			| val >> 1 >> (bits-1);
> 	}
> 	return val & mask;
> }

In general this looks good, but bitbuffer needs to be protected from
concurrent access, thus needing at least some atomic instruction and
disabling of interrupts for the locking if done outside of
get_random_long. Thus I liked your previous approach more where you
simply embed this in the already necessary get_random_long and aliased
get_random_long as get_random_bits(BITS_PER_LONG) accordingly, IMHO.

> > When we hit the chacha20 without doing a reseed we only mutate the
> > state of chacha, but being an invertible function in its own, a
> > proposal would be to mix parts of the chacha20 output back into the
> > state, which, as a result, would cause slowdown because we couldn't
> > propagate the complete output of the cipher back to the caller (looking
> > at the function _extract_crng).
>
> Basically, yes.  Half of the output goes to rekeying itself.

Okay, thanks and understood. :)

> But, I just realized I've been overlooking something glaringly obvious...
> there's no reason you can't compute multple blocks in advance.

In the current code on the cost of per cpu allocations thus memory.

> The standard assumption in antibacktracking is that you'll *notice* the
> state capture and stop trusting the random numbers afterward; you just
> want the output *before* to be secure.  In other words, cops busting
> down the door can't find the session key used in the message you just sent.

Yep, analogous to forward secrecy and future secrecy (self healing) is
provided by catastrophic reseeding from /dev/random.

In the extract_crng case, couldn't we simply use 8 bytes of the 64 byte
return block to feed it directly back into the state chacha? So we pass
on 56 bytes into the pcpu buffer, and consume 8 bytes for the next
state. This would make the window max shorter than the anti
backtracking protection right now from 300s to 14 get_random_int calls.
Not sure if this is worth it.

> So you can compute and store random numbers ahead of need.
>
> This can amortize the antibacktracking as much as you'd like.
>
> For example, suppose we gave each CPU a small pool to minimize locking.
> When one runs out and calls the global refill, it could refill *all*
> of the CPU pools.  (You don't even need locking; there may be a race to
> determine *which* random numbers the reader sees, but they're equally
> good either way.)

Yes, but still disabled interrupts, otherwise the same state could be
used twice on the same CPU. Uff, I think we have this problem in
prandom_u32.

> > Or are you referring that the anti-backtrack protection should happen
> > in every call from get_random_int?
>
> If you ask for anti-backtracking without qualification, that's the
> goal, since you don't know how long will elapse until the next call.
>
> It's like fsync().  There are lots of more limited forms of "keep my
> data safe in case of a crash", but the most basic one is "if we lost
> power the very instant the call returned, the data would be safe."

Yes, it absolutely makes sense.

Thanks a lot,
Hannes