Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 09:10:43 +0100
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To: Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc: Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	Alexander Shishkin <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: rowhammer protection [was Re: Getting
 interrupt every million cache misses]

Hi!

> * Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz> wrote:
>
> > I'm not going to buy broken hardware just for a test.
>
> Can you suggest a method to find heavily rowhammer affected hardware? Only by
> testing it, or are there some chipset IDs ranges or dmidecode info that will
> pinpoint potentially affected machines?

Testing can be used. https://github.com/mseaborn/rowhammer-test.git
. It finds faults at 1 of 2 machines here (but takes half an
hour). Then, if your hardware is one of ivy/sandy/haswell/skylake,
https://github.com/IAIK/rowhammerjs.git can be used for much faster
attack (many flips a second).

Unfortunately, what I have here is:

cpu family     : 6
model	       	 : 23
model name	 : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz
stepping	 : 10
microcode	 : 0xa07

so rowhammerjs/native is not available for this system. Bit mapping
for memory hash functions would need to be reverse engineered for more
effective attack.

Best regards,
									Pavel

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)