Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 00:32:20 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Any artists around?

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 12:59:31PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 12:16:07PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> >> Does anyone have some suggestions or sketches for a logo we could use?
> >
> > How about a bikeshed?  It would convey how hardening is not "perfect
> > security", and ack the irony of spending time on discussing a logo.
> > I don't even have a preference as to which color the bikeshed should be.
>
> Haha, yes, exactly. This is the opening image I used in my slides
> covering the uid-0/ring-0 lockdown series at LSS on 2014:
>
> https://outflux.net/bikeshed.jpg

Oh, cool.  Meanwhile, my Twitter poll ended in favor of bikeshed:

https://twitter.com/solardiz/status/783033528736940032

"What should (Linux) Kernel Self Protection Project's logo be?

32% A fancy penguin
42% A bikeshed
 7% Other (please tweet what)
19% No logo

116 votes"

A bikeshed would also ack the grsecurity project's opinion (as I
understand it) that trying to upstream hardening changes (through the
hoops) is sort of bikeshedding (in comparison with having made such
changes) or that the typical initial response (those hoops) is
bikeshedding, and that some of those changes (not in grsecurity) are a
bikeshed on their own.  This shouldn't stop us, but we can troll
ourselves a bit by ack'ing this dissenting opinion in the logo. ;-)

Alexander