Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 21:08:57 -0700
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc: Mickaël Salaün <mic@...ikod.net>,
	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>,
	Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>, Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>,
	David Drysdale <drysdale@...gle.com>, "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Elena Reshetova <elena.reshetova@...el.com>, "Eric W . Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	James Morris <james.l.morris@...cle.com>, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Paul Moore <pmoore@...hat.com>, Sargun Dhillon <sargun@...gun.me>,
	"Serge E . Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, Will Drewry <wad@...omium.org>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>, Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>,
	LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"open list:CONTROL GROUP (CGROUP)" <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 18/22] cgroup,landlock: Add CGRP_NO_NEW_PRIVS to handle
 unprivileged hooks

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

>> > Ours and Sargun's use cases for cgroup+lsm+bpf is not for security
>> > and not for sandboxing. So the above doesn't matter in such contexts.
>> > lsm hooks + cgroups provide convenient scope and existing entry points.
>> > Please see checmate examples how it's used.
>> >

>> To be clear: I'm not arguing at all that there shouldn't be
>> bpf+lsm+cgroup integration.  I'm arguing that the unprivileged
>> landlock interface shouldn't expose any cgroup integration, at least
>> until the cgroup situation settles down a lot.
>
> ahh. yes. we're perfectly in agreement here.
> I'm suggesting that the next RFC shouldn't include unpriv
> and seccomp at all. Once bpf+lsm+cgroup is merged, we can
> argue about unpriv with cgroups and even unpriv as a whole,
> since it's not a given. Seccomp integration is also questionable.
> I'd rather not have seccomp as a gate keeper for this lsm.
> lsm and seccomp are orthogonal hook points. Syscalls and lsm hooks
> don't have one to one relationship, so mixing them up is only
> asking for trouble further down the road.
> If we really need to carry some information from seccomp to lsm+bpf,
> it's easier to add eBPF support to seccomp and let bpf side deal
> with passing whatever information.

As an argument for keeping seccomp (or an extended seccomp) as the
interface for an unprivileged bpf+lsm: seccomp already checks off most
of the boxes for safely letting unprivileged programs sandbox
themselves.  Furthermore, to the extent that there are use cases for
unprivileged bpf+lsm that *aren't* expressible within the seccomp
hierarchy, I suspect that syscall filters have exactly the same
problem and that we should fix seccomp to cover it.

If I ever add a "seccomp monitor", which is something I want to do
eventually, I think it should work for lsm+bpf as well, which is
another argument for keeping it in seccomp.

--Andy