Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:45:14 -0700
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc: LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
	Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>, Sargun Dhillon <sargun@...gun.me>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>, "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"open list:CONTROL GROUP (CGROUP)" <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>, Mickaël Salaün <mic@...ikod.net>,
	Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>,
	Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 09/10] landlock: Handle cgroups (performance)

On Aug 30, 2016 1:56 PM, "Alexei Starovoitov"
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:33:31PM +0200, Mickaël Salaün wrote:

> > > This wouldn't be an eBPF program FD -- it would be an FD encapsulating
> > > an entire configuration including seccomp BPF program, whatever
> > > landlock stuff is associated, and eventual seccomp monitor
> > > configuration (once I write that code), etc.
> > >
> > > You wouldn't say "attach this process's seccomp stack to me" -- you'd
> > > say "attach this seccomp layer to me".
> > >
> > > A decision that we'd have to make would be whether the FD links to the
> > > parent layer or whether it can be attached without regard to what the
> > > parent layer is.
> >
> > OK, I like that, but I think it could be done on a second time. :)
>
> I don't. Single FD that is a collection of objects seems an odd abstraction
> to me. I also don't see what it actually solves.
> I think lsm and seccomp should be orthogonal and not tied into each other.

It's not a random collection of objects.  It's a fully configured
sandboxing layer.

One might argue that landlock shouldn't be tied to seccomp (in theory,
attached progs could be given access to syscall_get_xyz()), but I
think that the seccomp attachment mechanism is the right way to
install unprivileged filters.  It handles the no_new_privs stuff, it
allows TSYNC, it's totally independent of systemwide policy, etc.

Trying to use cgroups or similar for this is going to be much nastier.
Some tighter sandboxes (Sandstorm, etc) aren't even going to dream of
putting cgroupfs in their containers, so requiring cgroups or similar
would be a mess for that type of application.

--Andy