Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:47:32 -0600
From: ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To: Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,  kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 2015 kernel CVEs

Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com> writes:

> I like to look back over old CVEs to see how we could do better.  Here
> is the list from 2015.  I got most of this information from the Ubuntu
> CVE tracker.  Thanks Ubuntu!.  If it doesn't have a hash that means it
> might not be fixed yet.
>
> CVE-2015-8709 : ptrace: race in user namespaces let's users trace root processes

As this isn't a kernel bug, and is not a race, and no one has even
bothered to see if any userspace processes are this stupid I don't even
think that qualifies as a CVE.

There is room for improvement in this area but I don't see how this
qualifies as a CVE.

So for doing better I recommend a little more vetting and paying
attention before assigning CVEs.

Eric