Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 14:37:41 -0500
From: David Windsor <dave@...141.net>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: status: PAX_REFCOUNT

I'm currently in the process of splitting PAX_REFCOUNT.

It looks to touch a massive number of files.  Many of the modifications
occur in drivers:

dave@...ontium:~/src/linux-grsec-4.2$ grep -ril "atomic.*unchecked" | wc -l
402
dave@...ontium:~/src/linux-grsec-4.2$ grep -ril "atomic.*unchecked"
drivers/ | wc -l
158

As it stands, I'm trying to come up with a good way to split the patches.
I'm currently going with a scheme of creating separate patches per kernel
subsystem, further separating by component type (filesystems, drivers,
etc.).  For instance, for patches touching fs/, I've created a patch for
filesystem-independent changes, then separate patches for each individual
filesystem's changes.  Extrapolated over the entire kernel, I estimate this
strategy will produce approximately between 50 and 75 patches.

I'm moving my way through the tree and will hopefully have an RFC
submission soon.

Thanks,
David Windsor

Content of type "text/html" skipped