Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 11:42:02 -0800
From: Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Kernel Self Protection Project

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 04:14:22PM -0500, David Windsor wrote:
> I also proposed a patch for adding overflow protection to kref [2], but that
> patch was ultimately shot down.  Point being, I have some related patches
> laying around that directly relate to refcount-based protection which might be
> useful here.

It was "shot down" because you crashed the system with your patch, which
isn't ok, it is a recoverable issue, and no one resent it in a version
that didn't do this.

Also, I'm not quite sure of what exactly you are trying to protect here
with a kref overflow patch, the threat-model you are going after was
never documented.

thanks,

greg k-h