Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 19:32:16 -0500
From: Will Drewry <wad@...omium.org>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
	x86@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Re: [RFC] x86: restrict pid namespaces to 32
 or 64 bit syscalls

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org> wrote:

>> > I believe this is already in the newer versions of seccomp.
>> >

>> Last I looked seccomp still had a hardcoded list of system calls, but
>> perhaps I've been looking in the wrong place.  However, since that's
>> exactly what seccomp is -- a system call filter -- this can, and should,
>> be unified that way.
>
> True. I guess I confused the endless l-k threads with actual code.
>
> I guess the code was too expensive for the talk back then @)

Perhaps :) I wish it had landed after 9 revisions and at least two
variant patches. Despite that, I think it's great to pull in
additional requirements, like COMPAT locking, to make sure that the
solution is really a good one.  It may also be that my entire original
approach was wrong and should be revisited too.  Everyone's comments
here and the proposed patch itself certainly have me thinking.

cheers!
will