Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:48:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RLIMIT_NPROC check in set_user()

Vasiliy,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:56:35PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 20:59 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > After this is taken care of, please also consider other ways set*id()
> > syscalls might fail on errors unrelated to the process possessing
> > appropriate privileges.  IIRC, set_user() could also fail when it's not
> > able to allocate an instance of "struct user" - unlikely, but possible.
> > I think the process must be killed on those errors.  There's no better
> > action to take on them.
>
> As Spender has noticed, small allocations may not fail, they are forced
> to use __GFP_NOFAIL.

Oh, I now seem to recall that this was mentioned to me before (in an
LKML discussion a few years ago, but I failed to find it now).  My
opinion on this was/is that if we have a "can't happen" condition -
set_user() failure - then this is yet another reason why we must not
merely return -EAGAIN on this condition.  Rather, killing the process
would be a safer action to take.  As long as our assumptions are
correct, it can't happen anyway.  If/when the assumptions break (with a
code revision, or because we've overlooked something now), the safer
action will be taken (after my proposed change).

Thanks,

Alexander