Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:46:08 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: overview of PaX features

Solar,

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 21:21 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Oh, of course the kernel itself also put a signal handler return
> trampoline on the stack.

As the kernel actually use NX for the stack on amd64 and on x86-32 with
PAE support, the signal handler is already rewritten to respect
the nonexecutable stack.

> You may want to check the code in linux-2.2.12-ow6.diff.  It turned out
> to be insufficient to cover some newer gcc versions, so it was enhanced
> in later 2.2.x-ow versions.
>
> http://download.openwall.net/pub/patches/linux/v2.2/historical/

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

> That said, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.  Feel free
> to use the stricter code from PaX if you like.  You can also ask for PaX
> Team's advice on this.

He told me that the PaX' version is based on the actual gcc code, so it
should be sufficient ;)

> > Btw, there is a tool to change executable stack settings per binary,
> > written by Jakub Jelinek (Red Hat):
> >
> > http://linux.die.net/man/8/execstack
>
> I think it makes sense for us to get it into Owl.

Also there is a paxtest utility, it shows some information related to
noexec, ASLR and NULL presence in some libc functions:

http://grsecurity.net/~spender/paxtest-0.9.9.tgz

Anyway, I expect to work on this patch just after PAX_USERCOPY
discussion with upstream (and trying to push it, of course!).

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy