Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 18:47:10 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Brute force Easy-RSA CA key with JTR?

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 04:49:56PM +0100, Alexandre Badalo wrote:
> Can JTR brute force Easy-RSA generated CA private passphrase? I forgot
> the PassPhrase for my CA but i *think* i remember some pattern that
> might be on the passphrase, which should reduce a lot the brute force time

I don't have a reliable answer, but FWIW the support for cracking some
SSH key formats that we have in JtR -jumbo is known to also work for
OpenSSL private keys in general.  I suspect it might work for their CA
private keys as well.  I didn't know what Easy-RSA was, but upon a quick
look at https://github.com/OpenVPN/easy-rsa it appears to be a wrapper
around OpenSSL, so it is possible that our SSH key cracking support will
just work for you as well.

So please try ssh2john.py in the run/ directory against your CA private
key.  If it produces reasonably looking output, then try running john
itself against that.  Do all of this using latest revisions of our code
from the bleeding-jumbo branch on GitHub.  Let us know of your results.

Perhaps we need to improve the naming and/or documentation for
ssh2john.py and the corresponding JtR format to account for such uses.

> This is my first mail to a mailing list, i hope that this is the way to
> use it, if not, sorry :D

Your use so far looks good to me.

Thanks,

Alexander