Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:50:55 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Leonard Rose <len@...itude.net>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1 GPU & John

Hi Leonard,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 04:27:38PM -0600, Leonard Rose wrote:
> Has anyone used this development board successfully with JTR? I recently bought one used that I wanted to try JtR with 192 CUDA cores (up to 326 GFLOPS!) In the past I have built a small cluster using MPI of 66 ARM cpu but was hoping to build something useful with these NVIDIA boards. If I can get this working I can see a lot of fun in the future learning about GPU and OpenCL....

I'm sorry no one seems to have replied to you so far.

Yes, people tried JtR on NVIDIA Jetson TK1 before:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2014/07/17/4
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/10/29/1

These threads mention some old build issues, etc., but those are
supposed to be fixed or otherwise irrelevant in current bleeding-jumbo
(and yes, it'll be solely OpenCL now, including on NVIDIA, as we've
dropped CUDA support).  So I am referring to the threads not for the way
outdated advice/workarounds given there, but merely to answer your
question.  You'll actually want to use bleeding-jumbo, and just try to
build it in the usual way (e.g., "./configure && make -sj4") without any
tweaks first.

Please just give this a try and report any issues there might be - or
report success even if there are no issues.

Of course, these boards are actually very slow compared to modern large
GPUs that you'd plug into x86 boxes.  But that shouldn't stop you from
having fun.

Alexander