Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 17:10:48 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john --make-charset=custom.chr: Can't get the hang of using it. :-(

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 07:47:07AM -0700, Eric Oyen wrote:
> I run the command as stated in the example (./john --make-charset custom.chr custom.txt) where custom.txt happens to be a crunch created wordlist

As I explained in my reply to the other Eric, this is not what the
example is about and is not what it says.  "--make-charset" was
originally intended for processing your previously-cracked passwords to
train incremental mode on.  It will not read a wordlist.  You can,
however, create a fake john.pot file for it to read, like this:

sed 's/^/:/' < custom.txt > john.pot

and then generate a charset file like this:

./john --make-charset=custom.chr

But you should probably simply use mask mode instead of this hack around
crunch and incremental mode.  Mask mode is intended to do just what you
seem to be trying to do.

I am unaware of any use case for crunch along with JtR given what JtR's
built-in mask mode is capable of.

Alexander