Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:03:29 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: got DaveGrohl and JtR working, need to focus the attack

Hi Eric,

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 06:57:57PM -0700, Eric Oyen wrote:
> well, I finally managed to find out why DaveGrohl was not outputting a proper hash  for JTR to do it's thing. I ended up having to acquire the patch for that program from the old version index on github. after applying that, compiling and running, I finally got full JTR support in that program.

Great.  Maybe you could post more detail on this for others reading or
finding this thread later - what specific patch you needed.

> I now have JTR working on the 2 hashes I need

BTW, you never mentioned why you need those cracked.

> (one at a time, of course).

Why, you could as well run JtR on both hashes at once (one hash per
line or per file) unless you're focusing the attacks on these two hashes
differently.

> btw, is there any way I can tell JTR to use a specific length password and some probable characters?

Yes.  There are many different ways to do that, and which is best
depends on your specifics.  You could use the --min-length and
--max-length options, or/and you could use --mask (doc/MASK explains the
syntax of masks and gives some examples).

> believe me, I tried creating a fairly complete wordlist, but I don't have the minimum 10 TB of space required to house it.

You don't need to do that.

Alexander