Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 15:25:55 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Does Johnny support gpg symmetrically encrypted files?

On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 12:52:44PM +0100, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
> Per http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/11/17/1 JtR supports gpg
> symmetrically encrypted files.

Yes.

> Both
> $ gpg2john --format=gpg test.txt.gpg > hash
> and
> $ gpg2john --format=gpg-opencl test.txt.gpg > hash
> work without problem.

gpg2john doesn't accept nor need the "--format" option.  If you're using
a recent enough version of gpg2john, then it should print a warning that
it can't read the file named "--format=gpg" (or whatever you specify,
which it will think is a filename), but yes it'll work fine for the
other/real file regardless.

> However when I choose "Open password file | Open other file format
> (*2john)", choose "gpg" as format, select test.txt.gpg in "GPG Secret Key
> File(s)" and click "Convert" I see "Converstion crashed" text in
> "Conversion report" field.
>
> Why does this work with JtR but not with Johnny?

I don't know, and I've never used Johnny except for testing (maybe
someone who actually uses Johnny will reply), but my guess right now is
that maybe gpg2john somehow returns a non-zero exit code in your case,
which you simply don't notice when you run it from the command line.  Or
maybe Johnny is configured to use a different version of JtR tree you
have on your system than the one you run the gpg2john command from.

So please make sure it's the same version of gpg2john being used either
way, and please try this command:

gpg2john test.txt.gpg > hash; echo $?

What does it print?

Alexander