Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:21:14 -0500
From: Ian Boyd <ibkid@...us.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dmg file with lost password

Issues: I understand computers and can usually figure things out, but not good or experienced at the back end of things.. ie coding or understanding how to alter a code to make a program function the way you want it to.

1. I have been using Terminal, Xcode, and Bbedit and been trying to follow the posted instructions on Openwall, the JtR community, and from here http://easymactips.blogspot.ca/2012/09/john-ripper-tutorial-examples-and.html <http://easymactips.blogspot.ca/2012/09/john-ripper-tutorial-examples-and.html>  but the john-1.8.0.9-jumbo-macosx_v3 doesn’t have the src file as it does in the instructions. I have read through the instructions several times, but get lost understanding different hashes and altering the config file, etc...

Then I found Johnny!!! http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny <http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny> (super awesome and makes it easier for someone like myself) So WHO EVER made Johnny… THANK YOU! AWESOME JOB!

2. Using Johnny, and trying to figure out how to crack one password for my .dmg file. This program makes it easier to work with, but are there any helpful tips on who to use to crack one file?
	When I think I scan the file properly i get a "Warning: invalid UTF-8 seen reading” and the computer stalls at 57%