Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 10:00:28 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Markov Sampling

This is for JtR's Markov mode. You can do similar options with more
advanced Markov methods like OMEN but I'm going to skip that for now.

1) Make sure you have your stats file trained already. The following
instructions will calculate the level based upon that.
2) Open up the stats file. You'll see a lot of lines like:

97=proba1[32]
51=proba2[32*256+35]
44=proba2[32*256+38]
51=proba2[32*256+39]
40=proba2[32*256+48]
35=proba2[32*256+49]
37=proba2[32*256+50]

3) The format is a bit wonky if you have never dug into it before. The
main thing to keep in mind is the level is the leftmost value.
'proba1' means the probability for the first letter. 'proba2' means a
conditional probability for a letter following the previous letter.

These examples taken from the code comments in my pcfg implementation.
Note when I'm using probability/level interchangeably, (not ideal I
know) : https://github.com/lakiw/pcfg_cracker/blob/master/python_pcfg_cracker/pcfg_trainer/markov.py

# Format:
# Probability=proba1[ORD_REP1]
# Probability=proba2[ORD_REP1*256+ORD_REP2]
#
# Example:
# 27=proba1[97] //'a' has probability 27
# 85=proba2[97*256+114] //'r' given 'a' has a probability of 85
# 83=proba2[97*256+100] //'d' given 'a' has a probability of 83

4) This is all based on the ASCII representation so 'a' = '97'. You
can ignore the *256. That's a holdover from the JtR implementation. I
suspect at one point there was a plan to support non-ASCII characters.

5) Now take the password you want to find the Markov level/probability
for. Let's assume it is 'cats'. You start out by looking up the proba1
for [c]. That's your starting level. Then look up the prob2['c' +
'a']. Add that level to your running total. Next look up proba2['a' +
t']. Add that to your running total. Finally look up proba2['t' + s'].
Add that to your running total and the sum of all of that is your
Markov level.

6) If you have a transition that isn't listed, (for example it uses a
non-ascii character) that guess will never be generated.

7) Use ./genmkvpwd to calculate how many password guesses would be
made for that level of the target password. While it won't tell you
where in that level the password would be guessed, you can probably
say it'll be (keysize for level)/2 and have it average out. With
Markov it isn't weighted to the front which is why cracking sessions
look a lot like a straight line with a few bumps in it.

./genmkvpwd statfile max_lvl [max_len] [start] [stop]

Example (if you are looking up for level 120, max length 120)
./genmkvpwd statfile 120 12 1 120

8) Yeah you have to specify a maximum length for guesses and that does
impact the keysize. Also I can't remember if the results of genmkvpwd
are total for 0-level or just that level and you have to add all the
previous levels to get the guesses for it so you might need to play
with that. I think they are additive, (aka take the last value for the
total keysize), but I could be wrong as it's been a while since I
played with that.

Good luck, and if this is confusing or didn't make sense let me know.

Matt