Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:56:58 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Reading salt that contain semicolum

Hi Jeroen,
   This is a pretty common problem, and unfortunately until you run
across it it's hard to find the solution, so I'm glad you asked :) The
solution is in the John the Ripper documents in the DYNAMIC file. I'm
going to quote the relevant part:

Salts can contain some problematic characters. Some of these would be
characters such as: : \r \n \ NULL, etc. The : (colon) char is used
by JtR as a field separator. If it exists in the salt, it will split
the salt into multiple fields (i.e. wrong). A carriage return or line
feed, will cause the line to split, and JtR to not read it right.
NULL bytes are a problem in any C file, using normal 'string' functions.
The \ char, is used as a quoting char within dynamic, and can cause issues.
One other recently found issue, is if the salt ends in ' ' or '\t' (space
or tab), then if the dyna hash is placed on a line by itself (i.e. without
a user: prepended), then jtr will trim the whitespace off. This is a known
issue, and this is just a bad side effect of a known wanted behavior where
the raw hash files are cleaned up during processing.
DUE to all of these problems, dynamic has been expanded to take this as
the salt: $dyanamic_#$base_16_hash$HEX$hex_bytes_of_salt. In this
format, if the salt was 1234, then $HEX$31323334 would be the equivalent
value. This allows salts such as $\x0:\r\nBadSalt to actually be encoded.
This salt CAN be used, if you use the representation:
$HEX$003a0a0d42616453616c74.
There is an application in ./run which can 'help' This is ./run/raw2dyna
This process will convert files in the format of hashCsalt (c can be any char),
into the proper $dynamic_#$hash$salt It can also handle saltChash (if
salt is a fixed size). It also properly handle the problematic characters,
and uses the $HEX$hex_salt method, if there are bad characters in the salt.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Matt