Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 16:50:08 +0100
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Re: Cracking MD5 with long, known prefix

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:39:10AM -0500, Mark E. Haase wrote:
>     Can't set max length larger than 55 for Raw-MD5 format
> My research indicates that 55 is a hard limit for MD5 that cannot be
> changed at runtime, and that this limit was chosen for performance reasons.

Yes.  But with current bleeding-jumbo you can get up to 110 with
--format=dynamic='md5($p)'.  Perhaps we should document this somewhere.

I'm afraid there's no easy way to go beyond 110 with our current code.

Apparently, latest hashcat can go up to 256, so you may try that.

Jim, since in this case the prefix is constant, can it possibly be
provided as such in the dynamic format specification (I guess yes),
and would that possibly not be counted against the 110 characters
limit (I guess no)?