Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 02:41:30 +0000
From: Glen B <lucky0106@....com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Custom Windows build 1.8.0.9 - What happened to
 zip2john?

Well, this feels kind of embarrassing. I changed the encoding via
Notepad++ to UTF-8 straight. I saved it, then ran john with just the
filename of the hash. Out came the password, in less than a millisecond
if I'm reading the output correctly. It was a super simple password, too...

I guess the lesson here is; all file input must be UTF-8!

Glen