Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:00:28 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ZTEX 1.15y compatible boards?

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:22:46AM +0200, Jeroen wrote:
> I'd like to play with the *-ztex algorithms. However the ZTEX 1.15y board
> are discontinued and difficult to find on the 2nd hand market.

Yes.  I suggest asking in the Bitcoin forums thread where these were
previously discussed.  It's a very old thread lasting several years and
silent lately, yet I think people who still have those boards might
notice.  I think you need a non-new account on Bitcoin forums to be able
to post, though.  Maybe ask a friend to post for you.

You can also ask specific people mentioning they still have/use those
boards for mining altcoins or did a while ago, e.g.:

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@penname/21-of-the-entire-block-chain-27-ztex-1-15y-boards-201772t213849423z
https://blog.companyzero.com/2015/12/decred-rethink-digital-currency/#comment-19
https://forum.decred.org/threads/bitstream-for-ztex-1-15y.1342/

> Is the code compatible with other more recent / readily available FPGA
> boards? Thank you.

No.  If there's demand, we may add support for ZTEX's current boards,
but this is significant effort (months of work) and those boards would
offer worse performance per board and per dollar (but better per Watt).

Rough estimate is that ZTEX 2.16b will perform as 1/3 to 1/2 of a 1.15y.
It costs 439 EUR (plus VAT if you're in EU).

If there's commercial demand or sponsor(s), we can probably add support
(and proceed to add more hash types, too).  Without such demand/sponsorship,
probably not.

Alexander