Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 20:34:10 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: KeePass2John

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 03:48:36PM -0400, Blambpudding wrote:
> I need to get a hash from keePass but I am getting this error.
>
> C:\john\run>keepass2john NewDatabase.kdbx
>   File "C:\john\run\keepass2john.py", line 33
>     print "Unsupported file encryption!"
>                                        ^
> SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

What version of JtR is that?  There's no keepass2john.py in the latest
bleeding-jumbo.  There's a keepass2john program written in C.  It does
also contain the "Unsupported file encryption!" message, which is now
printed for ciphers other than AES and Twofish.  Do you know what cipher
your NewDatabase.kdbx file uses?

Dhiru - perhaps we need to enhance our keepass2john.c to include the
numeric enc_flag in the "Unsupported file encryption!" message, so we'd
know from reports like the above which exact ciphers are in demand.

> Has anyone ever seen this error? Or know of another way to get this hash?
>
> I am using a Windows machine and I am able to use John and Hashcat without issue but I am not able to pull the hash.

You should start by upgrading to latest bleeding-jumbo.  Maybe it will
just work.  If it does not, then perhaps we lack support for your file.

You can download the latest source code here:

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/archive/bleeding-jumbo.tar.gz

and build it using Cygwin.

Alternatively, you can download a slightly older binary build here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/custom-builds#Compiled-for-Windows

As we recently found out, unfortunately the "2017-03-06: John the Ripper
v1.8.0.9-jumbo-1-bleeding (Bleeding version on 2017-03-06)" build has
the *2john symlinks broken, so you'll need to copy its john.exe over to
keepass2john.exe.

Alexander