Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:50:33 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: practical limits on password length?

That's a loaded question there ;p

1) There are hash specific character limits

2) There are rule limits

3) There are attack type (such as incremental) limits

These three types while largely independent can combine in unexpected ways
. Most of the time for items like incremental that largely doesn't matter.
For example you aren't going to have much success brute forcing a 257 char
password. Having the different formats max lengths easily listed would be
nice though.

Now showing my ignorance, the value in Params.h I thought also had to do
with the number of character types (aka non ASCII) for incremental mode. So
I could be way off in my response ;p You might want to use --Markov mode
instead if you are hitting the char type + length limit of Incremental.