Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 15:34:46 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gpg2john working for symmetric encryption?

On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 11:37:53PM +0800, noir maru wrote:
> I have been using a fresh clone from git today, so it is definitely
> the most up to date version.
>
> Here are my results from the same commands as you:
>
> $ gpg -c --cipher-algo cast5 -o file.gpg < /bin/bash
> $ ./gpg2john file.gpg > pw-gpg-cast5
> [gpg2john] MDC is misssing, expect false positives!
> unknown(pub 133)
> unknown version (17).

These two "unknown" messages indicate a parsing problem in gpg2john. The
generated hash is likely broken, and won't be cracked by JtR.

This problem is being tracked at,

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/2616

This URL also has a patch for gpg2john, which should fix this parsing
problem. Give it a try, and do report back your results.

--
Dhiru