Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 13:38:22 +0000
From: Will Hunt <will@...althsploit.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Max Password Lengths

Hi,

After following your recent discussion with Rob re maximum password lengths, is there any easy way to determine the maximum character length of all supported algorithms?

I noted that using --enc:raw shows 27 for NT instead of 81, but I haven't been able to find any resources online that quickly show which algorithms are unicode based and which aren't so I don't know which ones require a calculation from the displayed value. Or failing that, is there a switch that allows john show the actual character length limits of all algorithms?

Many thanks,

Will