Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 15:29:42 -0700
From: B B <dustythepath@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error with --format=dmg-opencl

Hello,

I am trying to crack an Apple SparseBundle hash (obtained with john2dmg). While I have OpenMP working well the Apple hash for Sierra 10.12.4 is, well, difficult. For that reason I am trying to cut down on every character used and increase computations used in any way I can.

Here is my command:

./john —inc=custom —mask=’?w?d??d?dknownword’  —format=dmg-opencl hashfile

Output:
Device 0: GeForce GTX 760
Local worksize (LWS) 64, global worksize (GWS) 131072
Loaded 1 password hash (dmg-opencl, Apple DMG [PBKDF2-SHA1 OpenCL 3DES/AES])
Will run 8 OpenMP threads
Warning: only 14 characters available
Press q…….
OpenCL error (CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES) in file (OpenCL_dmg_fmt_plug.c) at line 764 - (Copy result back)

Now I have tried adjusting LWS and GWS but nothing changes. Looking at the “line 764” I can not discern anything either as it seems it is just a line to declare the error. I am not a programmer so following  and understand memory issues—ah, not me.
I have researched for over a day looking for clues but most go deep into programming or are programming jobs and the fix is not clear to me.

This above command line looks for a 4 character lowercase word with 3 unknown digits. This particular attempt is running right now without OpenCL gpu support with an ETA of June 23rd with the 8 OpenMP threads.

Thanks for any help,

Bill