Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 11:46:10 +0200
From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@...tomas.sk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: KeePass v2.x Files?

On 03.05.17 14:04, Jim Seymour wrote:
>I've searched and searched and come up pretty much empty on this
>question.
>
>I'm trying to recover the lost/forgotten (never really known,
>thought they thought they did?) password for a KeePass v2.x database.
>
>I've built 1.8.0-jumbo-1.  I ran keepass2john against the db and,
>from what I've gleaned on-line, am running
>
>    john-1.8.0-jumbo-1/run/john -incremental:alpha --format=KeePass
>    <file>
>
>against the result.  (With the leading cruft up to and including the
>":" removed from <file>, as per what I read.)
>
>CPU load is running 98-99%, so it's working on *something* :),
>question is: Will this actually work, assuming JrR actually matches
>the password?

it should, but the only way to find this out is (I guess) create keepass2
database with known password and trying to crack it.  Using wordlist with
that password, it should not be a problem.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@...tomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
BSE = Mad Cow Desease ... BSA = Mad Software Producents Desease