Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 21:42:52 +0100
From: Patrick Proniewski <p+password@...atpro.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: to Single or not to Single

On 01 févr. 2017, at 21:25, Patrick Proniewski wrote:

> And strange thing, the cracking rate slowly decrease along the cracking session. I would have thought that speed should be constant along the file, but in fact it's not. Shorter candidates are more likely to crack the corresponding hash, so maybe John is ordering the file to compute hashes for shorter candidates before long ones… That would be a great explanation.

After looking closely at the cracking session, I've determined that mode single attacks hashes in the same order that they appear in the file. So I have no explanation for the performance decrease. I made a graph for the first hour. It shows the very fast start, an impressive slowdown and a progressive slowdown during the full duration <https://www.patpro.net/~patpro/single-perf-decrease.png>.

patpro