Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:11:06 +0000
From: Darren Rhodes <darren@...neo.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bruteforce auto-generated md5crypt

Not sure on the dump-force, but incremental can be specified which means
it doesn't do single and wordlist first!

I use it all the time! The best way I have found to use it (so not to
have to create your own .chr files) is with crunch piping output to it
(as if it was a word file).

my typical command line looks like this (for wpa but adjustable to any):

crunch 10 10 abcdef23456789 -d 2@ -d 2%  -s aabc5e8638 | john -stdin
<wpafilenamehere>

crunch is an excellent tool to create "on the file" brute for password
lists and by piping it directly to John you don't need to same huge
files.  It also allows you to 'adjust' what characters you wish to use.

my crunch command above says:

crunch <min-word-length> <max-word-length> <characters to use> <no more
than two the same characters next to each other> <no more than two
numbers next to each other>

I do use the --incremental mode in John on its own, but you have to
build a character table (a .chr file) which gets a bit convoluted and
John insists on ordering the characters in what it thinks is the most
important.  using crunch instead will allow you to not only specify what
characters to use but in which order.

i.e. you could specify 012345qwerty456 and it would cycle through the
characters in that order in that order starting at 0000000000 and ending
at 6666666666

have fun which ever way you go ;)