Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 19:21:41 -0500
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@...-consult.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: make failed - Re: Need a little help
 cracking one password

On 12/12/2016 06:54 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 2016-12-13 00:33, Robert Moskowitz wrote:>
>>>
>>> Unfortunately that version is way older than reasonable.
>>
>> And I got it via the wiki.  Perhaps someone can update the wiki
>> accordingly?
>
> Nearly all wikis are (at least partly) outdated, it's the downside
> with the very idea. But feel free to update it yourself, that's the
> upside of it! Failing that, what specific page was this, please?

I got the source via:  http://www.openwall.com/john/

Look right below the Github location.

I don't like updating some other group's wiki.  What would I change, not
being part of the work effort?

But I have JtR running now with my limited mask.  Status gives an ETA of
19Hr.

Thank you for all your help.

If I am wrong about the password mask, I have worked out a way to MAYBE
move sudo (btw, this is Redsleeve 6 distro) to my user account and see
if that works.  If not then the pain of the taking the system down and
resetting the password.  Afterall, I could have a power outage that
exceeds my UPS capacity...

Bob